1. Practitioner only means that the supplements or herbs can only be prescribed by a qualified naturopath who has spent 4 years studying and are part of an association. This means that they have the knowledge to prescribe the best suited supplement/herb for you and your particular needs.
2. Naturopathic supplements tend to be at a therapeutic dose, which means it is generally higher in concentration and have been proven to exert clinical benefits.
3. Just because things are natural doesn’t mean they are safe to use for everyone. Some herbs and nutrients can have a negative interaction with some medications, so it is import to have proper and safe advice associated.
4. Many vitamins, minerals and even herbs are found in different forms. These forms may have different qualities and some might be easier to absorb than others.
For example with magnesium, one form is great for the nervous system and another the other is used as a colon cleaner, two very different results. Without knowledge in the area, you may not know which one if best for you and your condition. Companies may choose a form that is not absorbed well in the body because it is cheaper to manufacture and thus cheaper for you. So you might be taking something and feeling no result because you aren’t actually absorbing it (money down the drain).
5. Off the counter supplements tend to have more excipients, bulking agents and/or preservatives. Which for those with sensitivities or allergies, it can be difficult to pick which ones you won’t react to.
6. Supplements aren’t designed for long term use, they are to support you for the short term until the cause can be found and resolved. Without a naturopathic treatment plan you may be taking unnecessary supplements for too long, causing more harm than good.
Don’t waste your money on 'cheaper' supermarket supplements; get proper advice to be safe and effective! You can make an appointment with one of our lovely Naturopaths if you are feeling like you need some support from supplements, we offer short consultations for minor issues such as a cold.
*Please note that if you have seen another Naturopath (outside of the clinic) we need to see the prescription from them to be able to sell you over the counter supplements and herbs.